Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Port of My Heart

The final paper stiches fell off tonight...the port to my heart is visible (well the incision and the little bruising).

A " port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port locations are selected to optimize access to land and navigable water, for commercial demand, and for shelter from wind and waves. Ports with deeper water are rarer, but can handle larger, more economical ships. Since ports throughout history handled every kind of traffic, support and storage facilities vary widely, may extend for miles, and dominate the local economy. Some ports have an important military role." (thank you Wikipedia.)

I like the imagery of that little device being a place of safety for ships, and having a military role...that means it can beat the crap out of cancer!!

I've been such an emotional roller coaster lately; still totally in shock and denial about this whole thing. Tonight mom and I went on a picnic and she shared with me that last weekend after chemo, she actually worried at one point that I was giving up ( I felt HORRIBLE - picture the worst flu of your life). Hearing her say that triggered a lot. I don't want to give up...I admit I'm terrified, sad and probably depressed. I haven't fully become angry yet and I know I will get there and it will move me into wild action. I'm not giving in; I'm going to fight. It doesn't mean it isn't scary or depressing, and I know not every day will feel this way. There will be good days. I'm still just lost at sea, slowly finding my way to the port of my heart - the place that will remind me that I still have lots of things to be grateful for...

I could have died in that first surgery. I didn't. I'm living my second chance. Life is already a miracle. I'm thankful. Beauty abounds.

I read the tribe's comments and I know blogging about this journey was the right choice. It's healing to me and I am amazed by your stories, comments and ways of loving me and my family. I am eternally gratefully. You inspire me everyday not to give up, to fight and to love deeply. You help me move on every moment, to see beauty even when it's hard. Thank you for being my port in the stormy seas.

It also made me think today about the power of legacy. Not one of us knows how much time we will have. Every day brings the risk of potential danger...I could have been killed in a car accident, choked on my gum, or fallen on a hike somewhere. None of us are guaranteed anything in this life.

So what is your legacy? If this were your last 24 hours? Your last year? Your last 5 years? Of even you last 50 years? What would you make your legacy??

I'm done with status quo. I don't know the number of my days, and although I want MANY MANY more; legacy happens everyday!

What will you do with your wild and precious life?

How will you thrive, not just survive?

How deeply will you love?

I hope you'll join me in this wild quest to live, love and laugh well. Life is so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment